How to Avoid a Mattress Shopping Nightmare.
Because we spend a third of our lives in bed, you’d think we’d know a little more about the mattresses we sleep on, right? Wrong. Micro fibers, pocketed coils, open-cell technology, coil count. The mattress industry has made it confusing for a reason. Follow Sleepmaster Mattress’ simple shopping guide, and you’ll sleep better at night just knowing that you made an educated decision.
- Do Your Research. If you’re Internet savvy, start there. Get a feel for pricing and styles before you head to the stores. If you hear the word “hard drive” and think of your commute to work, avoid the Internet, and check out a magazine such as Consumer Reports.
- Shop Around. Be aware that major mattress stores carry the same brands and styles—but sell them under different names. Ask for comparables. A sales associate with your interests at heart will give you the information you need to make the right decision.
- Get Comfortable. Lay down on the mattress as if you were going to take a nap. If you sleep with a partner, make sure that person is on the other side. Remember to dress comfortably. And take your coat off before you lie down on the mattress so you can truly get a real feel of the mattress.
- Go with your Gut. Mattress sales people are notorious for pushing people into a mattress. Usually, industry people work on commissions—and are paid added bonuses for selling specific styles. Bottom line: no one can tell you which mattress is right for you. Comfort is a personal choice. Listen to what your body is telling you.
- Firm isn’t always Best. And neither is a higher coil count. That’s why testing out the mattress is key. Your comfort level is completely subjective. Nobody can tell you what’s right for you—except your own body.
- Ask about a Store’s Return Policy. Make sure to read the fine print. Stores that say they take a bed back without problem may charge a hefty shipping and restocking fee.